Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Dangerous professors of the mind

Cold shower on Horowitz's "Most Dangerous Professors" list. From Mark Levine, dangerous professor, writing in [gasp, fainting spell, smelling salts and kerchief] Mother Jones. See also this earlier post.
When I first heard that David Horowitz had included me in his list of the "101 most Dangerous Professors in America," I was quite pleased. It was an honor, after all, to receive such a distinction from one of the doyens of the neoconservative movement.

But my ego quickly returned down to earth when, during a debate we had a few weeks ago on Mother Jones Radio, he admitted, without a hint of embarrassment, that he hadn't actually read any of my books or academic articles, but only perused my website and perhaps a Mother Jones article or two. Indeed, he didn't even know the intern who actually did the "research" on me for his book.

5 comments:

MT said...

Horowitz: The Brand.

If he puts out a logoed line of clothing I bet I know what people would be wearing next year in Berkeley and Ann Arbor.

helmut said...

If the "research" is that shabby, we ought to all make up "Horowitz Dangerous Professor" t-shirts, professor or not.

roxtar said...

This seems like as good a place as any for this. If you love bad academic writing, this will hit the spot.

helmut said...

That's some bad writin.' I had a prof once who insisted, similarly with Heidegger and Strauss, that philosophical secrets were only accessible through changing/creating a language through which to access them. Scary, I thought, especially as his grad students would come up to me and say things I didn't understand at all. Then smile.

helmut said...

Gordon - what's the "complexity of the matter"?

Seems pretty simple to me, if one believes in academic freedom. No one forces students to take classes from professors who have a political view with which they disagree. And the PC climate Horowitz wants to create in academia is a real and simplistic assault on academic freedom that deserves to be derided before it gains any purchase.