Friday, September 16, 2005

New site on Katrina enviro hazards

C.M. Mayo, friend and terrific writer/novelist (check the prior link or type "C.M. Mayo" into the Amazon search for her books), sends me this site, OMB Watch. It's incredibly helpful, especially on one question I've been looking into -- post-Karina toxics.

Check out especially the listing they have of environmental problems in various New Orleans neighborhoods.

Also, a plea by Catherine:
A special plea: Hurricane Katrina has not only displaced people, but also thousands of dogs, cats, and other animals to shelters in Texas. A good place to send a donation (they are in desperate need of food) is the Houston, Texas Humane Society. You can visit their webpage, read all about it, and make an online donation at www.houstonhumane.org.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's useful data. I'd be interested to know if anyone has come across any compilations of oil inventories, as well. Also, does anyone have any insight on any current activities in NO, LA -whether private or government - to assess and secure these toxics and abate spills?

helmut said...

Hey Paul --

I don't know. That's what I was asking about earlier -- assessments on the toxics. Following through on your earlier comments on the procedure (which were great -- keep that coming), I just couldn't find anything. Cheryl Rofer, a chemist and eviro expert, has been posting some good stuff on this. But none of us can seem to figure out any of the details on the actual present activities.

Anonymous said...

My experience with industry (Federal industry) predominates near the DC beltway so I am at a loss for professional connections to NO, LA. Catherine Mayo posted a good find - site chemical inventories provided iaw Community Right-to-Know regulations. If I had the time (or the staff), those inventories would be a start and can be correlated to a map of damaged areas for at least a cursory glimpse of potential releases and impacts.

But I presume that local environmental professionals are much farther down a better path. But as I posted before, that gets into the territory of insider information and public (press) releases are typically obtuse when not mandated otherwise.

Also, in doing environmental AND safety engineering and management I fully understands the practical precedence of human safety over environmental issues. So while I am very curious as a former director of ES&H teams about the environmental variables, I am also trying to be patient. I don’t have to tell you that there’s a big mess to clean up on many fronts.

But again, if anyone knows any details from inside the profession . .