Friday, November 25, 2005

Quickie from Venezuela

A quickie update from Venezuela.... First, thanks once again to Barba for his nearly lone work at Phronesisaical during the past few weeks. I'm hoping he's not so tuckered out with the blogging business that he'll stay on and we'll have a stronger, better, faster Phronesisaical. I've enjoyed reading his posts. Sorry I haven't been able to do more.

Second, I'm still traveling in VZ. I'm back in Caracas after a few days in the Andes. What a fascinating, beautiful, and bizarre place! I recommend it to anyone considering a trip and I'd be happy to share advice about the many things I've done wrong and the few I've done right.

I've found myself caught up slightly in the politics of the country. This has had some minor ramifications for me personally. No biggie -- I'm not prison-blogging -- but a little painful on this end. Like I've said, it's a polarized country and everything is seen through pro-Chavez or anti-Chavez lenses, no matter how much one may think one's intellect transcends the divide. I've been right in the middle my whole time here, meeting with opposition people and government people. Neither side has liked my efforts to straddle the divide -- because of the lenses.... But, curiously, the lens seems to be the most telescopic on the opposition side from my experience.

There will be lots more to say soon, if you're up for it. I'll be back in the homeland of DC on Monday. Hasta luego.

No comments: