Tuesday, December 20, 2005

John Cornyn: unfree or dead

From The Hill:
"None of your civil liberties matter much after you’re dead," said Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), a former judge and close ally of the president who sits on the Judiciary Committee.

Here's an UPDATE (from Barba de Chiva, with apologies to Helmut for hijac . . . um . . . comandeering his post).

"Democracy" -- Langston Hughes, 1949

Democracy will not come
Today, this year
Nor ever
Through compromise and fear.

I have as much right
As the other fellow has
To stand
On my two feet
And own the land.

I tire so of hearing people say,
Let things take their course.
Tomorrow is another day.
I do not need my freedom when I'm dead.
I cannot live on tomorrow's bread.

Freedom
Is a strong seed
Planted
In a great need.

I live here, too.
I want freedom
Just as you. [emphasis added]

But, hell, what did Langston Hughes know about Civil Liberties?

2 comments:

barba de chiva said...

Give me liberty or give me, um, you know, give me a sense of security--physical and fiscal--that will enable me to continue doing my part to massage the economy during this holiday season.

helmut said...

Nice job.