Monday, May 15, 2006

Gore 2008

From Andrew Sullivan:
A reader predicts:

Thanks again for another fine column ... but it will be Gore in '08, not Hillary. Hillary is like the guy in the gym who only works the upper body and has the biggest arms, chest and shoulders, but his legs (his base, if you will) are weak. Just like the top heavy gym stud who can easily be beaten by a quick blow to his legs, Hillary (who has really bad legs!) can be toppled too.
Feingold (the Dean of '08) will hit Hillary hard and undercut her liberal support-supposedly her rock solid base. Now, I can hear you scream at your screen, "that's just what Hillary wants - a candidate that makes her look less liberal!"
Yeah ... but once Feingold exposes that Hillary has been wrong on so many issues Dems care about (Iraq, civil liberties, Iraq, attacking Bush), she'll be reduced to normal size for others to take on. Gore can sit back and watch Feingold do the dirty work and get in as Hillary weakens.
Gore's big advantages: he's been right on the issues, he retains stature among Democrats, and, surprisingly, he'll appear fresh from being away so long. Other than SNL last night, when was the last time you saw Gore on TV (and if you didn't see Gore on SNL...go to Crooksandliars.com for a very good laugh!)?
Gore-Warner is the winning ticket in '08.

I'd dismiss this if a very canny Republican hadn't said exactly the same thing to me the other night. I still cannot see it. But in politics, anything can happen, I suppose.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you -- I can't see it either, but it'll be interesting to see if it happens.

I agree about the Feingold/Hillary part! I don't know him, of course, but I think Feingold is a good man -- but him being described the "Dean of '08" is a good one.

Hey, I liked Dean, too. Still do.

helmut said...

That's Sullivan's comment, not mine. I have difficulty seeing it too... but I want to.

MT said...

If the election isn't rigged, I can imagine anything, and Gore would be fantastic.