Sunday, May 14, 2006

More Eurovision!

Since we're receiving pretty good traffic from Iceland now, here's a bit more on Eurovision from this weekend's press conferences. In the name of international understanding and all that. Peace. And don't forget the earlier post with even more saucy remarks from these scintillating superstars.

Estonia's Swedish entry, Sandra, encountered some trouble with her shorts. This unfortunate situation nevertheless provides us with insight into how Estonian Swedes put their pants on (and take them off?):
Why was she wearing sexy shorts for her first rehearsal? “I hadn’t thought about wearing them to be sexy,” she said. “I was wearing very high heels and I’d usually wear jeans but I couldn’t get them on over the shoes...."
Portugal's participants, Nonstop, figure out the concept of time while in Greece (note the name):
“Our experience of the show ‘Popstars’ was great,” said Portuguese girl group Nonstop. “We’re still young but five years ago we were really young...."
Lithuania has computed the odds and they don't look good:
“We’re not really into competing with other countries,” said Lithuanian band LT United. “Everyone here’s a winner already, by winning in their own countries. We’re challenging ourselves. We’re not worried about getting votes. We like what we do and hope other people do too. Winning isn’t about where you’re placed. It’s a state of mind.”
Lordi of Finland does more of their Alice Cooper shtick:
In the previous press conference, Lordi had said that he eats babies for breakfast. In this one, he was asked what he eats for dinner. “Kittens,” he said. “And crickets and spiders, that kind of thing. The same as you.”
Ukraine's performer - if you'll remember, an incredibly happy one - tones it down and goes for the baffling portion of the press conference spectrum (literature or magic? You guess.):
“Our rehearsal was good but you haven’t seen everything yet,” she said. “We’re still hoping for one big surprise. It’s still being prepared but it’s along the lines of David Copperfield…”
Andorra is still having problems with their singing waitress:
“Jennifer has a cold and her voice doesn’t feel right,” explained Andorra’s Head of Delegation. “But our main problem is that the stage costumes and some of our other things are stuck in customs. So we’ve done two rehearsals without them. We’re told we’ll have them by Monday but if we don’t, it will be a big, big problem. Still, the rehearsal today went much better than the last one and it looked great in the viewing room.”
This summer, catch Belarussian Polina Smolova hitchhiking merrily along the Silk Road:
“Eurovision is just one part of my journey,” she added. “After this, I will keep moving forward and carry on singing and dancing, hopefully around the world.”
Macedonia's Elena maintains the aching suspense while waxing philosophical:
Will Elena be wearing the same short dress when it comes to the Semi-Final? “Hmm, okay. I’ll tell you,” she said. “It won’t be this dress. I’m going to be wearing hot pants and a top. But I won’t tell you what colour.... the biggest phrase I want to pass on is the Eurovision motto – ‘Feel the rhythm’. Nothing else matters.”
And, of course, Iceland's Silvia Night shares her transcendent, resplendent guiding light:
“My dearest fans, you who are shining in my light, I welcome you all,” said Silvia Night before discussing the controversy over the profanity of her lyrics. “As my loyal admirers, you know that envious and ugly people with no style and no talent have tried to hinder me at every step. When I was named Iceland’s sexiest woman and TV personality of the year, those same people tried to have me disqualified. They did not succeed. They tried to do so when I qualified for Eurovision but again they have failed. I will not name names but you people know who you are. Shame on you.”

“I want to thank the organisers of this glorious competition for the marvellous job they have done so that I can bring true beauty to Eurovision,” she said...

“I like the band from Finland,” she said. “But I met them without their make-up on the other day and they are [censored] ugly.”

Her message to her fans: “I want to say to you all, keep fighting and under my guiding light we will rid the world of ugliness in the name of Silvia Night. Thank you.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A few years back, when Estonia won Eurovision, then Latvia, or maybe it was in the opposite order, the standard comment was that it wasn't clear that "winning" was all that desirable; the winning country was required to host the next year's contest.

This was something of a problem for Estonia and Latvia at the time, because they were still in relatively early stages of recovering from the Soviet times. Maybe it's less of an issue now. Maybe they've won and so it's no longer important.

Anyhow, I'm not hearing much about it except from you, Helmut.

CKR

helmut said...

Do I have a Eurovision thing? Perhaps I do. How odd.

Isn't it also odd that there's a lot of desire to lose going around?