Wednesday, July 19, 2006

It Was Pym!

The damned rascally stowaway threw the whole boat off-kilter. According to the NYT, the big boat "listed." Most everyone else, in deference to an audience largely ignorant of nautical terminology, has reported that it "tilted." Tilt! Pinball machines tilt!

The taper gave out so feeble a ray that it was with the greatest difficulty I could grope my way through the confused mass of lumber among which I now found myself. By degrees, however, my eyes became accustomed to the gloom, and I proceeded with less trouble, holding on to the skirts of my friend's coat. He brought me, at length, after creeping and winding through innumerable narrow passages, to an iron-bound box, such as is used sometimes for packing fine earthenware. It was nearly four feet high, and full six long, but very narrow. Two large empty oil-casks lay on the top of it, and above these, again, a vast quantity of straw matting, piled up as high as the floor of the cabin. In every other direction around was wedged as closely as possible, even up to the ceiling, a complete chaos of almost every species of ship-furniture, together with a heterogeneous medley of crates, hampers, barrels, and bales, so that it seemed a matter no less than miraculous that we had discovered any passage at all to the box. I afterward found that Augustus had purposely arranged the stowage in this hold with a view to affording me a thorough concealment, having had only one assistant in the labour, a man not going out in the brig.

1 comment:

helmut said...

Barba, I believe these were the non-vocalized thoughts of the octogenerian shuffle-baorders. Prove me wrong.