Sunday, July 09, 2006

Welcome to the big day

Odd Andersen/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

Today is the day. France vs. Italy for the big cup. It's the final match for Zinedine Zidane, Lilian Thuram, and Claude Makalele. Makalele is a great midfielder, but the soccer world will suffer from the absence of Zidane and Thuram. If you want to see some sheer sporting beauty today, watch this Cup: the soft touches and turns, ball attached to his foot, threaded passes, concerned defenders, and marksmanship of Zidane, one of the greatest you'll ever see; and the crunching tackles, defensive sixth sense, and ability to move quickly to attack of Thuram, still one of the greatest defensive players in the world.

"The game, the event, is not necessarily experienced or remembered in real time. I remember playing in another place, at another time, when something amazing happened. Someone passed the ball to me, and before even touching it, I knew what was going to happen. I knew I was going to score...." - Zidane

Allez les Bleus!! France 2 - Italy 1.

3 comments:

roxtar said...

"...Someone passed the ball to me, and before even touching it, I knew what was going to happen. I knew I was going to lay a coco butt into some goombah's sternum...." - Zidane

helmut said...

Ouch.

helmut said...

Sad, yes.