Monday, August 21, 2006

Where next for US foreign policy?

I suppose this might be old stuff to many of you too - I'm still catching up with reading (all I really read in Honduras was Michael Frayn's interesting novel, Spies)....

Here is Stanley Hoffman in the NY Review of Books from a week or so ago writing about US foreign policy. It's worth reading. Skip past the book review part. Walt is interesting, but Fukuyama's recent work is an exercise in self-rehabilitation. I don't care enough about him as an individual to want to follow along. Hoffman is the interesting one here, so section 3 is most worth reading. He outlines what he thinks ought to be American foreign policy, and it doesn't look much like the Bush administration's. I think you'll also notice several of the themes we have nearly fetishized here.

No comments: