Monday, July 21, 2008

Karadzic Arrested

Big breaking news about a war crimes fugitive:

BELGRADE - Bosnian Serb wartime president Radovan Karadzic, one of the world's most wanted men, has been arrested, a statement from the office of Serbian President Boris Tadic said on Monday.

"Karadzic was located and arrested," the statement said. He was detained and taken to see judges of the war crimes court.

Karadzic, leader of the Bosnian Serbs during the 1992-95 Bosnia war, was indicted by the United Nations war crimes tribunal in The Hague in July 1995 for authorizing the shooting of civilians during the 43-month siege of Sarajevo.

He was indicted for genocide a second time four months later for orchestrating the slaughter of some 8,000 Muslim men after Mladic's forces seized the U.N. "safe area" of Srebrenica in eastern Bosnia.

ad_icon

He went underground in 1997 after losing power.

I'm sure Eric will have more soon.

UPDATE:

Yes, Eric is the go-to guy. This is a particularly interesting development:
...I just heard an interview on the radio, Tatomir Toroman interviewed the editor of Zdrav život magazine, who published a series of articles on meditation by Dragan (sometimes David) Dabić [Karadzic's alias in hiding], and who says that his lectures on meditation were outstanding. The editor had no clue who was hiding behind the assumed name.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well all I can say is, FINALLY!! I'm still not sure, why they captured him, only 13 years later. I'm sure if the story was reversed, Muslims killing Serbs, they'd be in Haag, by now. But that's besides the point.

Hopefully, the poor mothers from Srebrenica, will get their closure, and I hope, I wish, that they choose his judgement.

Being in jail is good for him, he'll get away easily, and I don't think he should.

He ruined my country, my childhood.
I hope he rots in hell.