Saturday, April 14, 2012

Bits and Pieces - April 14, 2012

When you think the world is screwed up, try to put yourself back into 1950.

Another war avoided!

Some sense on airport security. I don't suppose anyone who might change the policies is listening, though.

American media isn't giving us near enough on the travails of the Murdoch family. That's a sitcome I'd be willing to watch!

A shout-out to a very enjoyable blog on geology.

Choosing Wisely: trying to figure out the utility of medical and diagnostic treatments.

For those of you who have read the whole post, a really marvelous livecam: a great blue heron nest in New York State. Unlike most livecams, it has sound, so I can listen to the redwinged blackbirds, geese, and ducks that remind me of being at Bosque del Apache. Very lovely.

1 comment:

Peter said...

I once spent a summer working in upstate New York, on Lake Otsego. The one J.F.Cooper called Glimmerglass. Most of the shore is protected rather than studded with vacation homes. It's not pristine, but close.

I had access to a canoe, and each evening I'd paddle up the stream that spilled into the north end of the lake. Huge old trees formed a canopy overhead, rotting logs meshed the banks. I'd stop and float, silently. Then the Herons would sail in to their nests in the branches.

It was absolutely stunning. They're huge, graceful, and silent. I'll never forget it.