Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Bits and Pieces - July 3, 2012

Happy Fourth of July to all. And, Mr. President, please don't use a military salute to recognize the troops!

Cloning project: need more glyptodonts.

I am almost finished reading Red Plenty, by Francis Spufford. It tells the story of the Soviet struggle to redefine prices. That's harder than you might think, if you don't want to use a market. But I wouldn't consider it to justify the current obsession with markets in any way. In fact, if you look at it as the story of how clinging to an ideology in the face of reality can mess up a society, you might just find a bit of implicit criticism there. Crooked Timber had a symposium on it a few weeks back. Now that I'm near the end of the book, I plan to go back and compare my reactions.

Where in the world is Mitt Romney's money? Warning: you will see more support for Obama and more criticism of Romney as November approaches.

Why the next round of Iran talks could yield results. While David Ignatius tells us they're about to "break down." I think by that he means that there will be no fully complete and encompassing solution to all the problems between Iran and the US this week. He seems to be the only one who was expecting them.

I'm restraining my posting of nuclear-related stuff here and putting it on Nuclear Diner. I've always been concerned that I'm tilting Helmut's blog too far toward nuclear stuff. If you would like even more links, though, check out this Nuclear Diner Forum thread.

No comments: