Saturday, June 02, 2007

Rich: Please Go Away

The mysterious Montag, the Wealthy Frenchman, continues his invaluable service to us proles by bringing Frank Rich's most recent column from behind firewall. Rich, as usual, channels the mood of the reality-based community with intelligence and elan. Al Gore said the other day that impeachment is not worth it. I hate to say it, but I agree, previous statements notwithstanding (I voted for it before I voted against it). That said, it is terribly frustrating to have this president continue at all in the White House, from where power is added to his vulgarity.

Some choice excerpts:
...It’s hard to pity someone who, to me anyway, is too slight to hate. Unlike Nixon, President Bush is less an overreaching Machiavelli than an epic blunderer surrounded by Machiavellis. He lacks the crucial element of acute self-awareness that gave Nixon his tragic depth. Nixon came from nothing, loathed himself and was all too keenly aware when he was up to dirty tricks. Mr. Bush has a charmed biography, is full of himself and is far too blinded by self-righteousness to even fleetingly recognize the havoc he’s inflicted at home and abroad...

Arguably the most accurate gut check on what the country feels about Mr. Bush was a January Newsweek poll finding that a sizable American majority just wished that his “presidency was over.” This flat-lining administration inspires contempt and dismay more than the deep-seated, long-term revulsion whipped up by Nixon; voters just can’t wait for Mr. Bush to leave Washington so that someone, anyone, can turn the page and start rectifying the damage...

If it was a relief to the nation to see a president as grandly villainous as Richard Nixon supplanted by a Ford, not a Lincoln, maybe even a used Hoover would do this time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He hasn't been neutralized, hasn't been rendered harmless. He still needs to go, and now rather than in 2009.

Gawd, I wish he'd just dry up and blow away, but if we have to impeach, we have to.

MT said...

Al Gore may be running for office, and he'll say what he has to say. I'm but one of the mob, and I'm going to raise hue and cry until my keyboard gives out. Of course, I'd still vote for him, given the chance. I don't see demanding impeachment like "throwing away your vote" on a Nader. Are you worried I'll recruit other voters away from Gore or other decent candidates who aren't calling for impeachment themselves? It's a little early for that, even for the party delegates.

helmut said...

Oh, I have no problem pushing as hard as possible for this disastrous president to go away. I would love to see him impeached as a process of accountability. I'm just no longer sure that impeachment is the right course from a practical point of view.

As for candidates, I don't have an official one yet. There are things I like about several of them: Obama, Edwards, and non-candidate Gore. There are even things about Clinton that I like, though this will bring me condemnation from the left and right.

Bill Richardson? Don't know much about him....