Friday, February 11, 2011

Bits and Pieces - February 11, 2011

Well, Mubarak finally managed to recognize that he was what the demonstrators were unhappy with and got out peacefully. We may see lawsuits against him later on, which may have been part of his reluctance. The post-dictator life just isn't what it used to be.

But for Egypt, the difficult part starts now. There isn't a simple path to democracy. It's there, one of the many paths available, but there's a lot more to go. This post is a good reminder of that. I think I may have posted it a few days ago, but we need this reminder.

Something to keep in mind. Weapons exports are part of the US relationship with Egypt. The military-industrial complex has its interests, too. I'm wondering if it would make a useful point to refer to the defense industry as the "armaments industry," the term used before World War I.

Someday our politicians are going to have to face up to this and get real in what they say. I'm not holding my breath.

Yes, I'm tired of all the maleness in films, too.

The Atlantic's book reviews are becoming the most exciting part of the magazine. I'm wondering why last month's on the difficulties of third-wave feminism didn't get more comment. And yeah, I don't much read feminist blogs.

No comments: