Friday, July 21, 2006

Friday dinner party conversation stopper

I have been remiss on these of late. I conjecture with sadness that many a dinner party conversation has waxed prolixly as a consequence, much to the reader's tongue-tired dismay. For this unfortunately loquacious situation, I can only offer my sincerest regrets, as well as a quotation which shall most certainly be of the fondest utility in foreclosing avenues of conversation this evening and thus returning the world to laconic, graceful silence.

"Affability contains no hatred of men, but for that very reason too much contempt for men."
- Nietzsche

2 comments:

MT said...

I think using an aphorism might be cheating.

helmut said...

Why? It's certainly more useful. You can memorize it easier and therefore shut down conversation easier. Sometimes the pithy one-liner is as effective as the full-page Kantian sentence.