Thursday, October 26, 2006

I'm a Waterboarder and I'm Okay

I might be slow on this one, but it seems not to have received much media play. Yes, Cheney says the US waterboards, and he's apparently quite okay with it. Waterboarding, by the way, is torture.
Vice President Dick Cheney has confirmed that U.S. interrogators subjected captured senior al-Qaida suspects to a controversial interrogation technique called "water-boarding," which creates a sensation of drowning.

Cheney indicated that the Bush administration doesn't regard water-boarding as torture and allows the CIA to use it. "It's a no-brainer for me," Cheney said at one point in an interview...

"It's a no-brainer for me, but for a while there, I was criticized as being the vice president `for torture.' We don't torture. That's not what we're involved in," Cheney replied. "We live up to our obligations in international treaties that we're party to and so forth. But the fact is, you can have a fairly robust interrogation program without torture, and we need to be able to do that."

And I'm still looking for what these people mean by "torture." I'm sure these bogus tough guys wouldn't need much to squeal.

No comments: