Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Empathy

My sentiments also too, indeed (and McWinky it is, for now and evermore). Wolcott:
Even as I wave a farewell hankie at my investment holdings as they sink into the briny deep, I draw spiritual comfort from seeing the McCain-McWinky campaign unceremoniously drown with them. McCain could still win, but the advance signs of rapid decay are everywhere in his campaign, a death mask forming with rictus sneer that resembles a silent snarl. I harbor no grand illusions about Obama, he isn't my messiah (I don't have a messiah, the writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson supplying more than enough transcendence to last a lifetime), and I'm still not sure how much he comprehends how gravely this country has been gutted over the last decade. My rooting interest is less about Obama himself than about how big a hurt he can put to the Republican Party. I don't want the Republican Party simply defeated in November, I want to see it smashed beyond all recognition, in such wriggling, writhing, anguished disarray that it can barely reconstitute itself, so desperate for answers that it looks to Newt Gingrich for visionary guidance, his wisdom and insight providing the perfect cup of hemlock to finish off the conservative movement for good so that it can rot in the salted earth of memory unmissed and unmourned in toxic obscurity.

2 comments:

troutsky said...

I might add that there were plenty of "liberals" who handed over their own brains to the machine and bleached all the empathy out of their "bleeding" hearts.Lets look beyond the easy dualism and realize our own self-conscription in the army of greed and privilege for every "investment" fed the beast.

MT said...

It appears troutsky's ideas have become outmoded as the new era has come to dawn. What are we to do?