Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Pina Bausch, 1940-2009

Pina Bausch in "Café Müller." Photo: Jochen Viehoff

Ines Hilde, graphic designer and former contemporary dancer, via email:

Pina Bausch has died and I am devastated. I've been thinking a lot about Pina recently. I had been going over her oeuvre again and I realized how enormous her influence has been on me and other artists. I'm devastated because she was so much more than a "grand dame of dance." She transcended the art and her influence was felt well beyond dance. Today, it's not possible to talk about the shape of contemporary art without talking about Pina Bausch.

I'm devastated because I believe that no other artist will emerge in my lifetime with such influence on generations of our imaginations. I had the pleasure to discover her group at its birth and will never forget the first time that I saw them dance in Pina's "Café Müller" at Théâtre de la Ville in Paris. You could always feel her beauty and generosity.

Goodbye Madame Bausch. We humbly bow to you.
Photo: AP / Frank Augstein

Here is a link to a post I wrote a couple of years ago on Pina Bausch and contemporary dance.
Plus, a nice little essay in the NY Times on Pina.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

J'ai reçu une grande lesson de vie, de profondeur, et de joie en regardant l'oeuvre de cette grande dame qu'est Pina Bausch. Elle laisse un vide mais son oeuvre vas continuer à parler encore longtemps a ce monde. Que son âme se dirige vers la lumière de la paix et la joie et que son travail continue à ouvrir les coeurs. Martha Rodezno, danseuse et choregraphe.

helmut said...

Ines, Martha, and others,

I know how much Pina meant to you, as a person and in the shape and depths of your own work and ideas and views of life itself. My deepest sympathies and love to both of you and to those of you who stop by this little spot to pay homage.

H

Anonymous said...

la mort de Pina m'a flanqué un coup violent, et j'ai dû pleurer comme un veau orphelin.
C'est aussi comme si Hélène mourrait une seconde fois, comme si cette fois la jeunesse était définitivement enfuie.
j'ai vu ma première pièce en 84 je crois. C'est l'année où j'ai lu les trois critiques de Kant et tout ce qu'il y avait de Leibniz disponible en français. Je croyais la littérature et le cinéma hors compétition. Et puis Walzer a tout effacé.
"pina m'a demandé ce qu'était un piège...."
" le quatrième jour il a fait les pâquerettes, les lilas ... non, non, pas tout de suite à la maison, encore une dernière petite cigarette et un dernier petit verre de vin, non, non, pas tout de suite à la maison".

veau orphelin donc. Anne Amiel, philosophe.