Tuesday, September 06, 2011

1940s Nostalgia

For New York and Los Angeles.

The Los Angeles piece makes a point I often ponder: "the everyday landscape of the past can often be very difficult to imagine." There was a place I wanted to remember at Chicago's O'Hare Airport. I had it figured out as they remodeled, but it's totally gone now. I still have the picture in my head, but it's fuzzy, more geared to the event than the setting. Or I think about how I used to drive into Santa Fe on Old Taos Highway and end up at the Post Office. Old Taos Highway is now totally cut off, including a wall, from traffic from the north. I can pretty much envision that past, but the streets before the making of Paseo de Peralta into a ring road around downtown are lost to me. And I'm sure I drove on them at some time.

No comments: