Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Republicans' Pledge

I was going to write something about the Republican Pledge to America, which was released today, but I've just realized that documents like this seldom have any effect on voters whatsoever.

The preamble is a really ugly parody of the Declaration of Independence. Apparently the Republicans no longer believe in the rule of law or republican government.
In a self-governing society, the only bulwark against the power of the state is the consent of the governed, and regarding the policies of the current government, the governed do not consent.
And it repeats that silly idea that the 20% of the population that identify themselves as Republicans, Tea Partiers, or both, are all of America.

I can't read the whole thing; I doubt that any sane person can.

Doug Mataconis has more. I'm surprised; I thought that preamble would appeal to the Tea Party, but apparently not.

No comments: